Thursday, January 10, 2008

Rules of the Dojo (I mean my kitchen)

Some things you might want to do or consider.

1. When I say salt I mean Kosher Salt. I use it almost exclusively. You should too.
2. When cooking on the stove top, generally, I cook at an extremely high heat. If you can't stand that, then you know the saying.
3. Buy your spices from oriental or "world" markets, and in their whole form. Go home and grind them when you need them. Grocery stores sell sawdust.
4. When I say mushrooms, I mean every mushroom but the white button mushroom. Get that the hell out of my kitchen. It has no flavor.
5. Don't OVERCOOK your meats. If there's one thing people do wrong, it's this.
6. Don't you dare cook your mussels, clams, squid, and shrimp longer than 4 minutes. Unless of course you like eating rubber.
7. If you're going to grill, don't use propane. That is so grasshopper.
8. Don't call grilling barbeque. It's not. Barbeque is slow cooked.
9. Don't put Parmesan on everything. Especially shellfish.
10. When I say Parmesan, I don't mean the kind in a green can, I mean Parmigiano Reggiano.
11. Use a good extra virgin olive oil.
12. Use good vinegars. Whether they be balsamic or red wine.
13. I don't care if you use "good wine", but don't use "cooking wines".
14. Use basmati or brown rice, because they taste better. Unless of course you're cooking asian food. Which I don't yet. Someday when I'm ambitious enough.
15. Buy good tools. Ricer for mashed potatoes, microplaners for zesting, wire mesh strainers, immersion blenders, Food Processors, spice grinders (coffee), and by all means, use sharp knives.
16. Buy good bacon.
17. Use fresh herbs. They are sold in every grocery store now, so you have no excuse.
17. Use unsalted butter.
18. Never use packets of anything, unless of course you can't get enough of MSG.
19. Finally...Shop at Costco.
20. Many more rules to come....

1 comment:

megan said...

good stuff, brett. when you aren't CRAAAAZY busy anymore - you should teach some classes.